Gatton Murders - Mary Murphy History

Gatton Murders

!!! Finally After Years Of Research, Albeit Still Only A Theory.

I Am 99% Certain Who DUNNIT !!!


The Gatton Tragedy Exposed At Last. An Examination Of The Secrets And Lies.

Click Here To Buy Your Copy

Home  The Players  Solve The Crime  Photos and Pics  Buy The Books  In Depth Info/Motives/Theories/Proof/Evidence

Listen To Radio 4BC Interview

Privacy Statement

Anyone with any information, assistance or ideas.

Please Contact:

Or Phone FreeCall Steve: 1800 068 303

Mary Murphy History

Born in the County of Cork Ireland.

On the 10th of April 1866 she was married to Daniel Murphy by the late Rev. Father Henry Brun, of Ipswich, Mrs. Murphy (nee Holland) having come out to the colony in the ship Charlie Palmer (1865)


Shortly after their marriage they removed to a farm on Sandy Creek (now called Ma Ma Creek), about a mile nearer to Gatton than the land, which they now tenant.

It is a remarkable coincidence that Mrs. Murphy went up to Gatton to take up her residence there exactly thirty years ago on Monday last 27/12/1898.

Mary Murphy died on 2 September 1922, aged eighty years.

Daniel and Mary Murphy lie buried in Gatton cemetery not far from the monument, which marks the grave of their beloved children, Michael, Norah and Ellen.



The barque Charlie Palmer, belonging to Mr. D. Wienholt, came to an anchor in Brisbane Roads on Sunday the 15th instant, at 11 p.m., having on board about 252 Government, immigrants, and a full cargo of general merchandise.

She sailed from Plymouth, at which port her passengers embarked, on the 10th September, 1864.

During the passage to the line she was unfortunate in meeting with baffling winds, and did not reach the equator until October 21, which was her forty-first day out.

As she neared the Cape of Good Hope it was found that the provisions were running short, and accordingly Captain Smith put into Table Bay on November 25 to obtain fresh supplies.

On the 28th of the same month she again put to sea; and passing to the southward of Tasmania, made Moreton Island on January 14, having had fine steady breezes, with the exception of a few days calm when off Cape Howe, throughout this portion of the passage.

On the morning of the 15th she was boarded by Pilot Sholl, and at 11 p m. on the same day she dropped anchor in the Brisbane roadstead.

Yesterday she was visited by Dr. Purdie, the Health Officer, who having found all the passengers in a most satisfactory condition as regards health, passed her.

The health of the passengers throughout the passage has been good, as only four deaths have taken place, one being an adult, a female who died in childbirth.

There were, however, six births.

The greater number of the immigrants by this vessel will be conveyed direct from the ship to Ipswich by the steamer Settler, which leaves town this morning for that purpose.